ClioReads

Heidi Hart

Ho-hum.

Talk Sweetly to Me - Courtney Milan

I love Courtney Milan, but this novella that finishes off her Brothers Sinister series just felt kind of "meh." The premise was interesting--an Irish Catholic writer in Victorian London falls in love with his black, middle class, mathematician neighbor--but a premise like that requires much more STORY than can be explored in a 100-page novella. I think my biggest disappointment was that Stephen and Rose were already in love when the story began, and so the plot wasn't so much a romance but about overcoming Rose's (eminently reasonable) objections to their relationship. As a result, I couldn't really buy into their happily ever after because I didn't have a good sense of what their relationship was based upon, other than mutual attraction.

If you like Math and Astronomy, though, this novella is totally your catnip. I do not like math, and there is a lot of math humor. I understood it (yay, me!), but it didn't do much for me.