ClioReads

Heidi Hart

Needs Less Action, More Talk

Take a Chance on Me - Jennifer  Dawson

Maddie Donovan has been with her boyfriend, Steve, since she was 15, but on the day of her wedding, she just can't go through with it. She climbs out the window of the church and runs away, only to have her car break down in a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere. There, she meets up with disgraced-lawyer-turned-barkeep Mitch Riley, and  the attraction is instantaneous.

Both Mitch and Maddie have tragic pasts (well, Mitch's history is more karmic than tragic) that make them slow to open up to one another, but as they gradually share their secrets, an emotional connection develops that is just as strong, and just as sudden, as their physical bond.

I liked Mitch and Maddie and the cast of supporting characters, and the plot moved right along and certainly held my interest, but the whole book felt kind of juvenile and melodramatic. Mitch and Maddie kept having these arguments that seemed to come out of nowhere and didn't make a whole lot of sense, as if the author thought--"This scene seems kind of slow… I know! Let's make them fight!"--over and over and over again. And then, of course, they have steamy make-up sex (with some very light BDSM undertones). I think I'd have found the whole thing more believable and more compelling if the protagonists had been better at communicating like grownups rather than squabbling and sexing like horny teenagers.

*** I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.***