ClioReads

Heidi Hart

One of Those Books I Read Over and Over

The Second Coming of Lucy Hatch - Marsha Moyer

I love this book, not because it is a marvel of literary genius (it isn't -- it's good but not marvelous), but because more than any other book I've ever read, the characters speak to me almost as well as if I had written them myself. Lucy and Ash and the inhabitants of Mooney, Texas are appealing and human and flawed in a way that is entirely on my own wavelength. I've never been to East Texas, but these folks feel like people I have always known.

This is the first in a series of (so far) four books starring Lucy and Ash, and it is far and away the best in the series. I enjoyed the second, The Last of the Honky Tonk Angels , almost as much as I like this one -- and in fact, I re-read both of them about once every two years. After these two books, though, Marsha Moyer does what I am too often tempted to do in my own writing: she is so enthralled with her characters that she keeps telling their stories long after the blush is off the rose.

*** Originally posted at GR December 2011.***