ClioReads

Heidi Hart

Doesn't Live up to the Hype

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson

My mother gave me her copy of this while I was home on maternity leave with long stretches of time trapped beneath a sleeping infant -- otherwise, I surely never would have gotten through it. The first third of the book or more was full of irritatingly dull backstory about financial fraud in Sweden. Maybe the Swedes were interested in this, but me? Not so much. I did manage to make it to the meat of the mystery, but I was put off by the violence. Yes, a certain degree of violence is a given in this genre, sure, but this book took it to a level I found distasteful.

Lisbeth Salander is an intriguing character, similar to, but not yet half as awesome, as Carol O'Connell's Kathy Mallory (see, for example, Mallory's Oracle, the first in the 8- or 9-book Mallory series, which I recommend sooooooo much more highly than this one.) I doubt I will finish the Millennium series, especially now that my son is outgrowing his love of long naps in Mumma's arms.

*** Originally posted on GR October 2010.***