ClioReads

Heidi Hart

This Book is EVIL

The Rainbow Fish - Marcus Pfister, J. Alison James

I hate this book. People keep giving it to my kids, and I keep throwing it in the recycle bin. I won't even pass it on to friends or donate it the way I do with most of our cast-off books; I hate it that much.

Ostensibly about friendship and sharing, the message of this book is dangerous and destructive, and I would not read it to any child I cared about. The Rainbow Fish has beautiful, sparkly scales that reflect all the colors of the rainbow... but the other fish are jealous. They won't play with the Rainbow Fish until he plucks off his scales and gives them away. Pfister apparently calls this "sharing," but I call it "Self-Mutilation in Pursuit of Conformity" and I don't want any part of it. I'd rather teach my children that their differences are what make them special, and that any friend who wants to take away what makes them them, or who wants them to change to be more like the crowd, is not actually a friend at all.