ClioReads

Heidi Hart

Beautiful Story, but Too Advanced for my Toddlers

Owen & Mzee: The True Story of a Remarkable Friendship - Isabella Hatkoff, Craig Hatkoff, Paula Kahumbu, Peter Greste

We borrowed this from our church's lending library to read to our boys (ages 3 and 1). As it turns out, I probably should have waited a few years, because the text is a little bit too dense to hold their interest, but the story is so interesting that I'll be sure to try again once they're in the early elementary years.

Illustrated with photographs from the real-life events of this true story, Owen & Mzee is about Owen, a baby hippo separated from his herd by tsunami-related flooding, and Mzee (Mmm-ZAY), a 130-year-old giant tortoise. Both animals are residents of a Kenyan wildlife preserve, and to the amazement of the preserve's staff, Owen & Mzee developed an unlikely friendship: eating together, napping together, exploring together.

I would recommend this to early- to mid-elementary readers, especially those with an interest in animals.