ClioReads

Heidi Hart

Charlotte Stein: Antidote to Smut Slump

Addicted (Mischief Books) - Charlotte Stein

I have been in such a reading slump when it comes to erotica for the past year. Thank goodness for Charlotte Stein, who has been the rare, consistent exception to the tendancy I've had lately to get bored almost to tears by smutty books. I think Charlotte Stein could write a book about going to the dentist for a root canal, and it would be sexy.

In Addicted, mild-mannered librarian and erotica writer Kit meets Dillon at a new-agey, crystal-sucky, hippie-dippie sexual healing therapy meeting. He reads her manuscript and re-enacts the sexy times with her, making all her fantasies come true (and also providing helpful literary criticism, adding a certain verisimilitude to her re-writes). Dillon seems perfect, until Kit realizes he never tells her anything about himself, and their time together is always about her and her fantasies, never about him. Dillon is the most generous sex partner Kit's ever had, but outside the bed, he doesn't give anything of himself away...

The romance is sweet and believable, and the sex is hawt. Having now read several of Charlotte Stein's books, my only criticism would be that all of her characters have the same (or at least very similar) "voice" -- but since that voice really really works for me, that's not much a criticism at all.