ClioReads

Heidi Hart

Nothing Special

Summer Sins - Kathy Kulig

There is a lot of BDSM-themed erotica out there, and Summer Sins doesn't really stand out from the crowd. It didn't push my rage buttons like some books do (*cough, Fifty Shades of Grey, cough*), as the author seems to understand the fundamentals of safe, sane, and consensual D/s play, but it didn't push any other buttons for me either, if you know what I mean. *lascivious grin*

The premise was predictable: Emma works for a gossip magazine and is assigned to write a story about a BDSM club, she's always been intrigued by BDSM but hasn't really explored, meets handsome dom willing (after some somewhat bogus reluctance) to initiate her, but she doesn't tell him about her job or the story, and eventually the secret blows up in their faces. The sexytimes were fine, but again, nothing that would set this book apart from the crowd.

This might have worked better as a longer novel, since the character and plot development all had a sort of bare-bones, hasty feel to it, and the Insta-Love conclusion strains all credulity (and would have been more believable if the plot hadn't been so rushed).

Bottom line, if you're a relative newcomer to erotica and tentatively interested in BDSM, this is as fine a place as any to get a well-researched, reasonably well-written overview of the lifestyle, but if you've read much BDSM erotica before, Summer Sins probably won't grab your attention.

***ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review***