ClioReads

Heidi Hart

Gorgeously Illustrated Semi-True Story of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Milly and the Macy's Parade (Scholastic Bookshelf: Holiday) - Shana Corey

(Full disclosure: Author Shana Corey is a college friend of mine. That doesn't make this book any less awesome.)

The week of Thanksgiving, I always scramble through my sons' overcrowded, poorly organized bookshelves to find this book to read to them. It is the first of many family traditions that kick off the holiday season in our house. It tells the story of the first Macy's Parade, in 1924, and how this uniquely-American tradition wasn't actually American at all. Although young Milly and her papa, the characters who star in the story, are invented, it is true that the parade originated with the thousands of immigrants who worked for Macy's in the early and mid-1920s, as an effort to bring the diverse celebrations of their homelands to New York City.

The illustrations are beautiful, especially for anyone who loves vintage fashion, and I love being able to share a mostly-true story of cultural diversity in this country... especially to counter-balance all of the hardly-at-all-true baloney about Pilgrims and Indians that abounds in popular culture this time of year.