ClioReads

Heidi Hart

Don't Say "It Can't Get Any Worse." It Can *ALWAYS* Get Worse.

Dreamfever  - Karen Marie Moning

As with Faefever, I'm struggling to review Dreamfever without spoilers. When Faefever left off, In the immortal words of REM, it was the end of the world as we know it... and the heroine, MacKayla Lane, was decidedly not feeling fine. I thought, "Okay, this is as bad as things can possibly get, and the last two books will be devoted to the cleanup and restoration of the post-apocalyptic world and Mac's broken psyche."

More fool, me.

A good rule of thumb for this series: Just when you think it can't possibly get worse, it does.

That's not to say that there isn't a lot to enjoy about Dreamfever. With the help of sexy, mysterious (and yes, still a little bit douchenozzle-y, if you've been following my reviews, but definitely improving) Jericho Barrons, Mac does pull herself out of the wreckage of Faefever's closing chapters, heal her broken psyche, and come back stronger, tougher, and smarter than she was before.

She teams up with Dani and the Sidhe-seers to kick Fae ass, and along the way she learns more Fae lore and more about her own origins. There are moments of great tenderness--and, um, not at all tenderness, *ahem*--with Barrons, which readers will find delicous. I'm sure I'm not the only one who re-read chapters 4 and 5. *blushes* (Of course, Barrons could stop grabbing Mac by the throat during their arguments ANY time, pleaseandthankyou. He's still a tad too alph-hole for my tastes.)

In the end, though, we are once again left with more questions than answers, and there's another whopper of a cliffhanger. It's a good thing Shadowfever is more than twice as long as any of the preceding books, because Ms. Moning has some serious 'splaining to do!