ClioReads

Heidi Hart

Whatever Helps Me Sleep at Night...

Surrender to the Devil - Lorraine Heath

I re-read this in the middle of reading Karen Marie Moning's Bloodfever to counteract the scariness, suspense, and sheer mindfuckery of that book in order to get to sleep. :-)

This is the story of Feagan's girl, Frannie (the woman who would not marry Luke in In Bed With the Devil because he was an earl and she didn't want to marry into the aristocracy), and Luke's wife's brother, Sterling, the Duke of Somesuch. That's right: she passed over an earl as too rich for her blood, and got a duke instead.

The conflict in the story stems, predictably, from the class and social divides between the lovers, and also from the fact that Sterling is slowly going blind and doesn't want anyone to know. Oh, and also from the fact that people keep trying to kill them both.

Frannie nearly gets raped and later gets severely beaten, and Sterling gets stabbed and shot.

(show spoiler)

It's a solid entry in a pretty good series, but kind of predictable and I got frustrated with all the I'm-a-duke-so-I-can't-possibly-marry-a-commoner-no-matter-how-I-love-her whining, and the ending seemed trite.