ClioReads

Heidi Hart

Mac's Foreshadowing Inner Monologue

Darkfever (Fever #1) - Karen Marie Moning

I can't accurately post my progress, because I'm reading the 5 book bundle on my Kindle app, so though I'm only 10% through all five books, I think I'm about halfway through Dark Fever. Anyway, I'm trying to decide how I feel about Mac's tendency to sprinkle her narrative with portentious, foreshadowy statements like "Later, I would know that [I stared] nearly long enough to get myself killed, but I knew nothing of that at the time" (Loc. 387), or, "I didn't get what he was trying to tell me that night, but later, when it counted, I would remember and understand." (Loc. 2837).

On the one hand, I'm finding them kind of distracting and annoying, telling me when something is creepy as if I'm too dense to figure it out for myself, the way a sitcom laugh track assumes the audience is too stupid to know when something is funny. On the other hand, I can be such a speed reader that maybe it's good to have these little flags that say, "Hey you! Pay attention; this is important!"

Bottom line: I am certainly engrossed in the read, but I can't say whether I'm having fun yet.