ClioReads

Heidi Hart

Late Term Pregnancy + Snowstorm = Predictable Plot

Merry Christmas, Baby - Jill Shalvis

This holiday novella revisits the Lucky Harbor couple Chloe and Sawyer five years into their Happy Ever After, when Chloe is about 12 months pregnant with their first child, and she is just a bundle of hormone-induced crazy.

I read Head Over Heels, the full-length novel starring Chloe and Sawyer shortly after it came out in 2011, and all I remembered of it is that Sawyer was the town cop and Chloe was the harebrained youngest sister of the trio that started the Lucky Harbor series. While reading this, I remembered she suffers from debilitating asthma. This novella says both Chloe and Sawyer had rough childhoods which make them doubtful about parenthood, but I don't remember the details (but really, how many romance novel main characters haven't had traumatic childhoods?).

Anyway, Chloe is extremely pregnant and all freaked out that Sawyer doesn't want the baby and doesn't love her and blah blah blah, and for most of the novella, Sawyer is out of town working for the DEA. Everyone wants Chloe to stay home and take it easy, but she wants to go to the town's big Christmas party, even though she can't find a dress that fits over her massive bump, and even though it's snowing buckets.

Late term pregnancy + snowstorm = ... well, you can probably guess what happens at the party, and if you can't, I won't spoil it for you.

I didn't love this novella, mostly because I'm not a fan of the crazy-hormone-driven-pregnant-lady trope. I've been pregnant, and I won't say it doesn't do a number on you--I couldn't listen to country music or read sappy books without bawling during my own pregnancy--but I'd still like to think that most women in Chloe's shoes would have been more rational and made better choices.